22.12.08

What a wicked game to play




we cant toy with all of these hearts at once
or, okay, well, maybe we can
I never imagine that I will end up on the losing end
And my clothes will at least be clean at the end of the day
And anyway you were wrong from the first
When you called it a game
It’s amazing, how all the things we say we could say at any time now
And noone would think we were too young anymore
I’ve been sleeping too long, wishing for some arms to wrap my own around
Give me a reason to lie here a little longer
Instead of regrets and bitter memory to bed down in
Its right now that I realize - that none of this could possibly matter
Otherwise we would all be a waste, and what a tragedy it would be for us all to be following after something we can never find
There has to be something else besides our silly games
A crown that even love needs to wear, something else we don’t understand
It’s been so many weeks, and I wonder why you affect me the way you do
Where you get your timing from, how you knew the day I would be open on the table
Here on this bus, on the way through this winter
sometimes, when I think of you
Sometimes, I get so short of breath
And I have to remember I cant be responsible for anyone, no more
And how I’ve grown to hate the thought of our bodies
Your body
And im sorry, I don’t have the gift, I cant make you cry on cue, but I can promise you
I felt it just as much as anyone ever has
So here I am, always a few pints gone, asking after every pretty face I thought
might one day have a chance with, whispering, wondering is this what I was born for
I’ve been thinking about what it would really feel like to jump in the shoes
Of all the life-darkened faces I see
And what you all think my eyes have seen in this short time, because
I couldn’t care anymore about all of that bullshit tragedy
What we’ve all got to say is not enough to make it right, all I’ve got are these arrows on my sleeves, some guidelines, my fabulous unproven point
once every 3 years. All I can offer is my body, maybe a few words that may or may not make you feel anything for me, depending on the day
I cant promise you that we will bask in some glory of the grand finale
of time falling down, because now I know it won’t be so beautiful without you
knowing you’re still down in the out, and that maybe I could have done something different, I could have certainly been a better man
That together we’d greet the end knowing we were right, now
We just sink into something else, wondering where the truth lied between us
And how heartbroken one of us will be to say I told you so
I guess I’ll just try to rise above
And figure out what that means hopefully after I’ve done it

No comments:

 
Google